Ginataang Tilapia is also called Fish Cooked in Coconut Milk. This is one of my favorite recipe since the main ingredient is Tilapia, a common name for nearly a hundred species of cichlid fish from the tilapiine cichlid tribe. Tilapia inhabit a variety of fresh water habitats.
6 pieces Tilapia fish (cleaned and scaled)
4 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 medium red onion (cut into eight)
1 red bell pepper (sliced)
1 green bell pepper (sliced)
1 small ginger (sliced)
1 big eggplant (cut into eight)
1/2 cup squash (sliced)
1 medium ampalaya - bitter gourd - (cut into eight)
Salt to taste
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup vinegar
- In a casserole, arrange fish and spices.
- Pour in vinegar and coconut milk.
- Boil for five minutes.
- Add squash and eggplant and cook until almost done.
- Add onions, red and green peppers and ampalaya (bitter gourd).
- Season with little salt.
- Cook until vegetables are done.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.